Power issues(?) on an IBM T40.

Nathan R. Valentine nathan at nathanvalentine.org
Tue Jan 4 14:33:10 UTC 2005

My laptop is locking up periodically and I think that it is related to
power/ACPI support in Hoary. I ran Debian unstable with APM support on
the same machine for months with zero problems so I don't think the
lockups are related to a hardware problem outside of the power
management.

The laptop is an IBM T40 with the extended life battery. It is
configured for suspend to RAM on lidclose per the Wiki entry (although
this doesn't work for me but that is a different post). I've noticed
that that lockups always seem to occur when the battery life hits 66%.
At 66%, the machine stops accepting keyboard input and the hard drive
activity light stays lit even though I cannot hear any disk activity.
The more I think about it the more I think I remember seeing this
behavior when the battery hits 33% as well. I don't recall ever seeing
this problem when the machine is on wall power.

I have not taken the time to try to SSH to the machine to see if the
lockup is complete. Meaning no network access to the machine.

Is anyone else seeing these kinds of power management(?) related issues
with the T40?

--
Nathan R. Valentine <nathan at nathanvalentine.org>