warty-updates repository?

Ari Torhamo ari.torhamo at luukku.com
Tue Jan 4 11:56:36 UTC 2005

ma, 2005-01-03 kello 14:49 -0800, Matt Zimmerman kirjoitti:
> On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 08:54:28PM -0800, Daniel Robitaille wrote:
>
> > While looking at the list of available repository for Warty
> > (http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/) I discovered  tonight that
> > my apt source list was only pointing at warty and warty-security, and
> > not warty-updates.  So what  is that 3rd repository?
>
> The warty-updates repository contains non-security bug fixes for Warty.
> These are optional, and not installed by default.
>
> They are separate because security fixes should always be installed, but
> some users may or may not want other bug fixes.
>
> --
>  - mdz

Hi,

This is the first time I hear about warty-updates repository and it's
not even mentioned in the Ubuntu web page (I did a search with
"warty-updates" and the only relevat result was Markus Hubig's
repository and I guess we are not talking about it). I haven't even seen
it mentioned on this list before (it might have passed my eyes though
because of the volume of the list). Downloading bug fixes sounds
reasonable to me and I propably would have added this repository to
Synaptic long time ago if I would have known about it (I was sure I
already know everything I need to know about repositories - in
particular what are the official repositories... sigh)

This makes me intrested in the way information is gatherd to and
organized in the Ubuntu web page. Is there, to say, a plan of what
things should be found there and how they should be organized. It would
seem good to have a way of making sure that at least things that most
people would assume to be found would find their way in. Wiki is a great
way to enable people to contribute information, but obviously having a
wiki doesn't guarantee that an important thing gets documented or that
anyone even comes to think of that it should be documented.

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm complaining. I just don't have many
ways to contribute to the community and I wish that this comment would
be usefull somehow :-)

Regards,

Ari