Apt Backup Question

rodrigo ahumada rodahum1978 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 2 21:43:56 UTC 2005

>From: Simon Taplin <simon.taplin at gmail.com>
>To: Ubuntu Users <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
>Subject: Apt Backup Question
>Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2005 18:19:14 +0200
>
>I'm backing up my apt cache and list of files in the apt repositories for
>if I need to reformat my machine or install more machines. By backing up
>the list of files in the repositories, is apt smart enough to figure out
>that security updates have not been installed on the new machine even
>through they had been installed on the old machine?

you mean that you install an older version but then copy new .deb packages
to /var/cache/apt/archives and then run "apt-get upgrade" and apt doesn't
download anything from network?

i did that, but before upgrade i run update to make the database up to date,
only then apt look the cache to see if the packages are already
downloaded...

that it was,doesn't?