Fw: Minimum specs for Ubuntu

david nux at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jan 2 11:04:56 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-02 at 08:25, Søren Hauberg wrote:
> I'm running Ubuntu on a 300Mhz Celeron with 192 MB ram and it's fine.
> So a P3 600Mhz would be just fine
>
> /Søren
>
> Judy & Lindsay Roberts wrote:
> >  What are the minimum specs for running the lastest Ubuntu?
> >
> >   If I can get an older Pentium 3 (600-700mhz) would that be suitable?

I had it running on a P3 600 laptop that only had 128MB RAM (with 8MB
set aside for graphics memory) and it was sloooooow (using gnome)!
OpenOffice took about 2 minutes to open. Abiword on the other hand was
totally usable. (You can "increase speed" by using alternative
applications such as Abiword, Sylpheed for email etc.)

I found Vector Linux 4.3 to be very fast on this particular laptop. Nice
little distro "optimised for older hardware". Has the most browser
plugins "out of the box" I've seen in any distro.

regards
David