digital camera (100 - 200 USD price range)

Stephen Ryan taketwoaspirin at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 03:34:20 UTC 2005

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 03:22:35 +0100, Vincent Trouilliez
<vincent.trouilliez at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> Le samedi 01 janvier 2005 à 20:32 -0500, David Mandelberg a écrit :
> > My sister is looking to get a digital camera, and I'm trying to find one that is
> > compatible with ubuntu or another easy to use debian derivative (or debian
> > itself if sarge/etch is user friendly enough).
> >
> > Any suggestions appreciated.
>

> Had a look at www.nomatica.com, found 29 cameras under 200 Euros/USD,
> selected the first one in the list (cheapest one ie), a super mega huge
> crap selling for only 35 Euros, and look:
> http://www.nomatica.fr/photo/pencamvgaplusFR.htm
>
> Yes, even that thing, uses USB to retrieve the pics.
>
> So really, money is not a problem here, make sure your camera uses USB
> and you will be fine with any modern Linux distro that handles USB
> hot-plug.

I recently purchased a Canon PowerShot A75 for $190; it's plug and
play with Ubuntu and gThumb.  As is usual, there are tradeoffs to be
made; for myself, I didn't care about the megapixel count so much as
the resulting picture quality and usability of the camera.

I did save a few review sites from when I was searching which may be
of interest to you:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/
http://www.dpreview.com/

The New York  Times (registration required, I think) recently ran a
review of under $300 cameras which may still be useful, in that many
of the cameras reviewed are part of a family of cameras, some of which
are cheaper than the reviewed model without giving up much in the way
of features.

http://tech2.nytimes.com/2004/12/09/technology/circuits/09stat.html