Mozilla Thunderbird

Keith Irwin keith at keithirwin.com
Sun Jan 2 02:41:22 UTC 2005

Poptones--

I sure can't argue with what you want out of your email client.  Not one
bit! ;)

Wild guess, but here's where I think the Gnome folks would like to go:

1. Provide a library for storing email, contact info, tasks, and
calendar items.

2. Write clients which use this information, each client according to
its own particular needs, as a particular "view" into this sort of data,
and as simple and usable as possible.  (More table because less moving
parts, perhaps.)

3. Provide the possibility of interesting innovation no one has yet
thought up.

Given the above, I can imagine a future where evolution begins to
dissolve its all-in-one PIM interface into separate applications with
little or no pain.  Seems to me that by removing all the "data source
management" from the email and/or calendar and/or contact apps would
make for more stable apps.

The desktop itself becomes more like a PIM, less like a file manager
and program launcher.

In the end, I think what they're after is to make things easier for
users, not to partake in some fashionable "integration is good"
metaphor.

I use both IM and the contact list.  If I added a contact in evolution
(usually by right-clicking on an existing email) and I put in their AIM
or Jabber ID, I wouldn't mind one bit if that ID was added to my buddy
list in Gaim automatically.  Why do I have to add the same information
over and over again with every application?

Whether or not the results are really worth it, I think the aim and
focus of all these efforts is towards an easy-to-use and much more
consistent desktop.

With regards to security, I don't know.  I suppose someone could send
you a script that executed "rm -rf ~" and you'd be done for, regardless
of whether your information was stored in several different formats in
several different places.

It'll be interesting to see where all these ends up!  The great thing
about Ubuntu and most other distributions is that you're a yum or
apt-get away to a totally customized solution.

Keith