Mac-on-Linux networking problems [Hoary]

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Mon Feb 28 20:18:47 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 10:23 -0500, Nathan Sprangers wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 07:30:09 -0500
> Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Don't know if this is a Hoary-specific problem...
> >
> > I managed to get MOL 0.9.70 working after following the Ubuntu wiki
> > instructions (which I ought to update with a comment or two re:
> > Hoary).
> >
> > OS X boots (miraculously... first time I've had OS X boot under MOL on
> > any machine without having to install OS X *through* MOL) with sudo
> > startmol -X but unfortunately the DHCP internet access doesn't work.
> > I've installed the MOL driver into OS X 10.3.8 and tried fiddling with
> > the Networking preferences pane.
> >
> > There are some other quirks that need fixing but internet is the most
> > important (this way I can use Ubuntu & my partner can use OS X,
> > without having to reboot out of Ubuntu). (other quirks: font smoothing
> > goes funny and an error dialogue is presented at login saying login
> > can't proceed, but, login does proceed nonetheless).
> >
> > So... is internet a fixable problem?
>
> Same version of MOL in Warty.  I built it last night with a 2.6.8.1-3
> kernel.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that dhcp (the dhcp
> daemon) needs to be installed - if I recall correctly, MOL provides
> networking with the dhcp daemon, so that might be something that needs
> to be added to the wiki.  I installed dhcp but it won't start for me:
>
> (from /var/log/syslog)
> Feb 28 08:52:35 arucard dhcpd: No subnet declaration for eth0
> (69.201.12.137).
> Feb 28 08:52:35 arucard dhcpd: Please write a subnet declaration in your
> dhcpd.conf file for the
> Feb 28 08:52:35 arucard dhcpd: network segment to which interface eth0
> is attached.
> Feb 28 08:52:35 arucard dhcpd: exiting.
>
> And later, but I'm not sure if it's relevant:
>
> Feb 28 08:53:03 arucard dhclient: DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 10.103.176.1
> port 67
> Feb 28 08:53:04 arucard dhclient: DHCPACK from 10.103.176.1
> Feb 28 08:53:04 arucard dhclient: bound to 69.201.12.137 -- renewal in
> 36829 seconds.
>
> I also tried 'sudo /etc/mol/tunconfig iface up' but got:
> expr: syntax error
> 192.168..1: Unknown host
> ifconfig: `--help' gives usage information.
> 192.168..1: Unknown host
> ifconfig: `--help' gives usage information.
> iptables v1.2.9: host/network `192.168..0' not found
> Try `iptables -h' or 'iptables --help' for more information.
> DHCP nameserver exported: 24.92.226.176
> iptables v1.2.9: host/network `192.168..1' not found
> Try `iptables -h' or 'iptables --help' for more information.
> iptables v1.2.9: host/network `192.168..1' not found
> Try `iptables -h' or 'iptables --help' for more information.
>
> So looks like something's up with iptables.  I remember I had this
> working before with OS X 10.2, so I'm going to install Firestarter
> because I remember there was something to do with NAT there.  Also, take
> [...]

I found some useful information here:

http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~ctwardy/mol-debian-benh.html

The NAT issue in my case was fixed by installing ipmasq and dnsmasq
(both in universe I think). When I installed those two packages, mol
sprang to life and connected! By using the info on the monash page in
conjunction with the wiki guide, I was able to get it up and running.

(I also tried installing the dhcp daemon, but the two packages I mention
above did the trick for me. DHCP didn't start for me either.) Hope this
works for you as well!

Peter