How to install RAID?

Rich Duzenbury rduz-ubuntu at theduz.com
Mon Feb 28 19:28:55 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 18:09 -0500, saltydog wrote:
> I am trying to learn how to install RAID 1 too...
> I have here my new computer with 2x120Gb IDE disks - no OS on them, and
> I am well convinced to install Ubuntu server on a RAID 1 software
> configuration, but... I don't know where to start!!
> I have tried googling around, but I am more confused than before. No
> clear, updated guide. The one I have found has been written in 2000,
> and now we have kernel 2.6.x!
>

> --
> saltydog

I have software RAID1 running on ubuntu warty, and I documented the
procedure and posted it to the list this past December.  I followed the
instructions put together by another author (for debian), with a few
mods and additional bits that I ran into with ubuntu.

The basic premise is to install ubuntu onto one drive.  Then, configure
a new drive with all the partitions as the first drive, but of type
raid.  Copy all partition data from the first drive to the second drive
and reboot.  You now have a 'degraded' raid system.  Re-partition disk
one, changing the partition type to raid.  Reboot and tell the system to
sync the drives.  Voila, software raid1.

--
Regards,
Rich

Current Conditions in Des Moines, IA
Overcast
Temp 24.8F, Windchill 10.2F
Winds out of the North at 21, gusting to 29mph
Light Snow