[Hoary] Upgrade to Hoary

Ben Novack bennovack at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 18:21:51 UTC 2005

I don't think it's neccessarily a specific timepoint; it's a matter of
specific programs. For example, I've been very tempted by backports -
but held off - because of Firefox 1.0 and the latest Blam!. Plenty of
other stuff has been updated - gaim comes to mind - but if they'd
slipped in under the radar, I think I wouldn't care about backports.
Mono 1.1.4 will probably tempt me in Hoary, since it's supposed to be
better in all ways despite being a beta.

On the other hand... 6 months does feel like a reasonable cycle for a
whole new release. Perhaps a policy might be in order where certain
very widespread or crticial apps - Mono, firefox, OO.o - could be
eligable for an official backporting in the event of a major update?

The problem with trading stability for new software is that it's a
*huge* stability loss for a relatively minor gain. That's the nature
of running a release that's still months away from completion.
Backporting, for all the problems it can cause when upgrading, is a
great way to maintain stability while getting that one program you
want updated.