Irritating Progress Bar in Gnome

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Mon Feb 28 17:14:43 UTC 2005

> I get really irritated by the progress bar in gnome which shows up when
> files are copying. Its great, but when it gets more than halfway, the
> "time remaining" bit is barely leggible, because it's in nearly the same
> colour as the bar. Does anyone else have this problem or is it just my
> theme (Simple)?
>
> Just wanted to find out people's opinions.

the "Simple" theme is also my favorite, but I too was extremely annoyed
at the color choices, as they are very hard on the eye : black text over
very dark green, is very difficult to read, and as you said, progress
bars are even worse, with the text being not black, but some other shade
of green or so it seem, which makes it IMPOSSIBLE to read the progress
bar.
I think you may be able to customize the colours if you tweak the theme
by hand (/usr/share/themes/Simple/gtk-2.0/gtkrc), but that's beyond my
abilities.
So, I simply switched to the "Glider" theme, it's much easier on the eye
(and even more so in Hoary, the colours have been slightly changed, I
noticed).
But 3 days ago I started using the "clearlook" theme (you can download
it from www.gnome-look.org ), thanks to someone on this list whi posted
about it. Give it a try (be sure to take the latest 0.3 version, not
0.2 !). IF like me you still miss the "Simple" windows borders, you can
still re-use them with the clerlook theme, not a problem. :o)

--
Vince