NetworkManager

Niran Babalola iamniran at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 07:16:14 UTC 2005

If you are not using ndiswrapper, then I don't know what's causing
your problem. If you are and you're running Warty, NetworkManager
won't work for you. The ndiswrapper version that Warty shipped with
doesn't tell HAL the capabilities that is has. NetworkManager asks HAL
for all the wireless capable devices and works with those. Since
ndiswrapper doesn't tell it anything, NetworkManager thinks that only
a wired ethernet device is available. In this case, when you run
NetworkManagerInfo, it won't display anything in your panel, since
it's useless if you only have a wired device.

Two options:
1) Use netapplet.
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/gnome/netapplet
Download the package and install it with "dpkg -i". When you want to
use wireless, run netapplet (the package created a menu entry in
Applications -> Other). It's been a bit buggy for me, but it's better
than nothing.
2) Upgrade to Hoary. I think the preferred wireless solution for Hoary
is netapplet which has an Ubuntufied package in the Hoary
repositories. If you still want to use NetworkManager, which from what
I hear seems to be a bit better, it should work in Hoary, because I
think ndiswrapper fixed that problem since Warty was released.

Personally, I'm using netapplet for now, and upgrading to Hoary when
the Preview Release comes out (March 9th I think). When I upgrade,
I'll probably switch to NetworkManager.

Good luck!

- Niran