ordinary computer user

Egon Bianchet egon.bianchet at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 22:55:59 UTC 2005

Il giorno dom, 27-02-2005 alle 17:15 -0500, Eric Dunbar ha scritto:

>Having observed a few (six and counting, one Mac-only, two Mac
>(90%)-Windows (10%), one-Windows95, two Win 98/XP) people using the
>default Ubuntu account (I created a generic one for guests to play
>with) and by-and-large they were underwhelmed, if not entirely turned
>off by Ubuntu. The interface just isn't up to the standards they're
>used to (especially the Mac users found the interface to be
>sub-standard) and none of them were impressed by the GUI behaviour of
>switching apps, etc.

Different GUI means different behavior: driving a Ford is different than
driving a FIAT. You could say the same thing for someone used to windows
trying osx for the first time and viceversa.

>Some of the points raised seem to elict some rather childish responses
>from some of the Linux fan(atics) that spread their rather boring
>propaganda on the (fictional) merits of Linux (let's just say that
>I've never seen -- let alone HEARD rumours of -- a virus or spyware
>affecting our corporate network of Win NT (with XP being rolled out
>slowly) computers (30,000 users)... the head aches and time lost due
>to having to recover word processor documents lost in OO.org or
>AbiWord crashes would far outweigh _any_ dollar savings achieved by
>avoiding licencing costs).

The point isn't about spyware or viruses, this is just a symptom of what
happens when you let somebody else decide what you can and what you
can't do with your computer.

--
Egon Bianchet