ordinary computer user

Lars Hallberg lah at micropp.se
Sun Feb 27 21:42:43 UTC 2005

Neil Woolford wrote:

> At 13:16 27/02/05, Tony Pursell wrote:
>

>> I had a discussion like this in my local LUG. I pointed out that I
>> was not
>> averse to paying for good value software. Two things I use are Money
>> 2004 and Taxcalc. The latter is a UK tax calculating and online filing
>> program. (Tax was one of the requirement highlighted in the wiki
>> article). Both are very good value for money (about £25/$48/€33),
>

> I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but TaxCalc has been abandoned by
> Intuit. Another reason to be irked by closed source, perhaps?
>
> If someone produces an open source uk tax return program for Linux I'll
> be there like a shot. I'd even pay a support fee!

This is realy a good area for open source. Different companys from
different contrys colaborating on an sofsticated open source software,
and then sell information (in form of mashin intepretable tax ruels,
forms, templates and humen readable advice) and suport for different
national legislation.

Shuld kick any closed source bizznes modell!

You will have to expect free info of corse for the simplest need, but as
this is an area wher rules constantly change ther probably always is a
market for better information.

/LaH