Ubuntu warty and zaurus 5500

spizkapa spizkapa at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 17:13:05 UTC 2005

Hi there,

has anyone managed to get their zaurus 5500 playing ball with ubuntu
warty? I'm having real problems setting up ethernet over usb. Without an
outgoing connection, it's hard to update things...

The problem is that there are plenty of places describing what you have
to do to get the zaurus working but none of them are for ubuntu or a 2.6
series kernel. If someone could at least help me set up ethernet over
usb, I could then add the appropriate wiki page for others to use.

My set up and trace of the situation is as follows:

1. desktop computer running ubuntu warty
2. desktop has 2.6 series kernel (2.6.8.1-5-686)
3. zaurus runs a clean (just reflashed) version of openzaurus and opie
4. zaurus seems to only know of a usbd0 ethernet interface (I believe
the correct one should be usb0 - without the 'd')
5. when the zaurus is connected to the computer through a USB
charge/sync cable, the following message appears in /var/log/messages

Feb 27 16:41:14 localhost kernel: usb 4-6.2: new full speed USB device
using address 11
Feb 27 16:41:14 localhost kernel: usb0: register usbnet at
usb-0000:00:10.3-6.2, Sharp Zaurus SL-5x00

which to me says that the right modules are loaded by the warty kernel.

6. In particular, the usbnet module is started as expected
7. I have added:

iface usb0 inet dhcp

to my /etc/network/interfaces so that I get a usb0 interface which is
meant to get an IP address through the Z's dhcp server

8. if I manually ifup the usb0 interface, nothing happens

I have head of others using a static IP address for the zaurus and
pointing from usb0 to the Z's IP address but this has given no success
so far.

Can anyone help or tell me where to look for pertinent information? I'e
looked everywhere but nothing strikes me as a situation that can be
adapted into my own.

Thanks.

spizkapa