Japanese Input (un)solved

toyfactory toyfactory at xsmail.com
Sat Feb 26 07:17:51 UTC 2005

> > > Since there were no more posts in the thread I wondered if he/she
> > > managed to get it working.  Anyone have any ideas about getting
> > > Anthy and UIM to work with OpenOffice?
> >
> > It works for me. Try:
> >
> > export LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.UTF-8 oowriter
>
> Thanks, I'll give it a go when I get back to my Ubuntu PC.  If you
> don't hear from me, assume I got it working!  Cheers,

Guess what...

No luck, Shift-Space just gives a space.  I've tried using the (somewhat
buggy) systray helper toolbar but that doesn't help.  I notice there's
source for a newer UIM available than the one available as a package.
Wonder if it would be worth uninstalling and building the newer one.  Or
is that likely to cause a whole raft of new problems?

Nick