Website design : what to use ?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Sat Feb 26 01:00:07 UTC 2005

> Forgive me from breaking in. But what's your issue about Nvu?
> I've got it running on my Warty box (Dell Dimension 2400) and it works fine. I use DW on
> my iBook, so can compare and contrast the two. I find Nvu works fast enough,
> yeah, downloading a webpage from my server is not fast, but it's not that
> quick on DW too.

I really don't feel like starting a DW/Nvu war, as there is not much
point comparing the two.

Maybe I am strange, but the way I work on DW, is by displaying both the
code and the WYSYWIG editor at the same time, and I constantly switch
from one ot the other. In DW, this is lightening fast.
In Nvu, not only I can't have both views at the same time (IIRC, don't
have it anymore can't check), but switching between the various
tab/views is extremely slow. I would need it to be real time or a half a
second maximum, but that's hardly like this.
That was the main reason why I really couldn't live with it.

It seems most people either use "vi", or WYSIWYG.
I do'nt work like that, I need both at the same time on the screen, and
need both views to interact instantly, and let me switch from one to the
other super fast. I happen to find that DW does that perfectly.
That's one of the main reason why I still have to use DW over any other
Linux solution.
Obviously, running a Windows app in VWmare is only a "will do" solution
and is hardly elegant as a long term solution, so I really hope that
either Maacromedia will port DW to Linux (they already have a Mac port,
so I guess technically it's already halway to Linux ?), or that someone
makes a Gnome 'clone' of it.

Vince