Upgrading from another Debian

Bob Nielsen nielsen at oz.net
Fri Feb 25 02:00:45 UTC 2005

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 12:48:31PM -0800, Michael R. Bernstein wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 13:28:51 -0800, Michael R. Bernstein wrote:
>
> > I've been using Warty on several machines for about three months now, and
> > have been really happy with it.
> >
> > I have a box with Libranet 2.8.1 installed on it, and I would like to
> > upgrade it to Warty (and later Hoary, but I assume this will be simpler).
> > What procedure should I use?
>
> No responses so far, so perhaps I should broaden the question:
>
> What is the best way to upgrade a machine to Ubuntu from another
> Debian-based distribution?

I've tried several and what works best for me is to put /home and
/usr/local on separate partitions, then install the new distribution
(ubuntu for the purposes of this list) on a blank partition.  In the
installation process, I had the ability to define the location of /home,
but not /usr/local, so I defined the partition where user/local lives as
/temp.  After the installation was complete, I edited /etc/fstab to
change /temp to /usr/local.

I suspect that just editing /etc/apt/sources.list and doing a
dist-upgrade could lead to problems, although it might work in some
instances.