ubuntu midi (jack and qjackctl)..problem with /dev/snd/seq

Ian vern at riseup.net
Fri Feb 25 00:11:08 UTC 2005

I am trying to set up midi on ubuntu (warty) and get jackd and qjackctl working together...i want to build this into a tutorial and this is what I did ->

- ---------------------
(i)add extra repositories to apt ->

$ sudo cp /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list_backup
$ sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

(ii) copy the text below into the sources.list file gedit has opened ->

deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 4.10 _Warty Warthog_ - Preview i386 Binary-1
(20041020)]/ unstable main restricted

## Uncomment the following two lines to fetch updated software from the
network
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ warty main restricted
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ warty main restricted

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'universe'
## repository.
## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as to
## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
## universe WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu security
## team.
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ warty universe
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ warty universe

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ warty-security main restricted
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ warty-security main restricted
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ warty multiverse
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ warty multiverse

deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ stable main
deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ unstable main
deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ testing main

deb http://ubuntu-bp.sourceforge.net/ubuntu/ warty-backports main universe

(iii) save this file
(iv) update apt by running->

$ sudo apt-get update
(v) install the Debian packages you need for Jack ->

$ apt-get install qjackctl jack-tools meterbridge libjackasyn0
libqt3c102-mt-psql libqt3c102-mt-mysql   libqt3c102-mt-odbc

(vi) make sure you are added to the audio users group (this should be done
automagically but just to be sure...*add your user name not mine ;)* )

$ adduser vern audio

(vii) get a virtual synth to use (Rosegarden, awesfx etc) ->

$ apt-get install awesfx
(viii) start the GUI for jack ->

$ qjackctl

(iv) click the setup button ...on the settings tab the server path is
jackstart and the driver is alsa...on the display tab make sure Start JACK
audio server on application startup is OFF
(v) hit the Start button on the qjackctl GUI and you are off !!

- -----------------------------

this worked until I rebooted ....then I received the following error:

`Could not open ALSA sequencer as a client: open /dev/snd/seq failed `

the only way I can resolve this is to create the sequencer device each
time with:

$sudo modprobe snd-seq-midi-emul

qjackctl then connects to jackd correctly but how can I make this automatic on boot?

- --

E S T U D I O L I V R E
open source media works

"Caminhando por Caminhos Livres"