evolution/spamd childs/memory

David M. Carney carney1979 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 20:54:31 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 21:06 +0100, Maximilian Gerlach wrote:
>Hi,
>does anybody know why evolution always has 5 spamd childs running which
>each take about 30mb of ram? This brings evolution to over 100mb of ram.
>Any way to reduce at least the number of the spamd processes?
>
>Thanks,
>Maxi

IS Evolution starting them?? It doesn't appear to on my Hoary box.

I wanted to install Spamassassin anyway, so I did. I started
Spamassassin, then I closed Evolution and logged out of Gnome.

I logged back in and checked the system monitor. Sure enough, 1 spamd
session and 5 spamd children were running. But I had not yet started
Evolution.

After starting Evolution, I again checked the system monitor and no new
spamd sessions nor children sessions had started.

If Evolution itself starts any other sessions, then they will be listed
immediately below Evolution in the system monitor and indented in.

For a picture of how this would look, open the system monitor, set it to
see all processes (in the upper right-hand corner) and look at gdm. On
my system it has spawned another gdm session and X as well as
xsession-monitor and an ssh-agent.

This is how it would look immediately under Evolution if Evolution had
spawned any spamd sessions.

David

--
Registered Linux User #297958