Announcing the first release of an accessible derivitive of the Hoary Live CD Array 4

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Wed Feb 23 21:18:34 UTC 2005

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 05:17:31PM +1100, Luke Yelavich wrote:

> I am happy to announce the first testing/proof of concept release of an
> accessible derivitive of the Hoary Live CD, based on the recently
> released array CD 4. This CD aims to give blind/vision impaired linux
> users a chance to use the Gnopernicus screen reader, and explore the
> many features and applications of the GNOME and Ubuntu desktop.

Wow!  Thanks for working on this.

> Known issues:
> -------------
> * There is no way to notify the blind/vision impaired user that they
> need to press enter to continue booting the CD.

I think there is a timeout there, though it might be set quite high for a
normal boot.

> * The language and keyboard selection lists are not yet spoken. I am
> looking into this.

I expect this may be quite a challenge.  At least it should be possible to
preseed these values, and have an accessible CD which boots with a
preconfigured language and keyboard layout.

> Where can I get it?
> -------------------
> You can download the ISO from here:
>
> ftp://themuso.homelinux.org/ubuntu/accessibility
>
> Unfortunately, I only have 128kbps upstream bandwidth, so it may be a
> little slow. If you are able to offer approximately 520MB for hosting,
> and have a faster connection to the net, this offer would be much
> appreciated. Please get in contact with me so we can arrange an upload.

If you haven't already found other arrangements, contact me regarding
hosting facilities for your image.

--
 - mdz