automatic mount of usb-device

René L. Reingard reingard at hispeed.ch
Wed Feb 23 12:24:50 UTC 2005

Hallo Jochen

what i was able to do today is binding the USB devices (USB stick , USB
digital camera) in through (inclusively icon on the desktop) the following
commands - and this only worked today because i did before a update of all
new system files (i use Warty Ubuntu).

the commands are:

(do this all with a newly started computer AND no USB device plugged!)

$ cd /etc/init.d

$ sudo ./hotplug stop

plug the USB device in
(probably wait a few seconds)

$ sudo ./hotplug start

wait another few second (maybe maximum 30 seconds) until the system shows
you the devices.
if not, then mount the devices by their name (these names you can see in
the folder /dev ), like :

$ sudo mount /dev/sda1  (as example for a USB stick)

if "something goes wrong", like the system freezes or the terminal does
not give an output after long time, then start again the computer new, and
have an other try.

what we else have to do, that hotplug is working fully automatic, i do not
know so far.

regards,
René

--