NIS user problems: audio, plugdev ..

Mark Roach mrroach at okmaybe.com
Mon Feb 21 22:34:02 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 20:50 +0100, kloschi at subsignal dot org wrote:

>groups for every available nis user should give
>"users" "audio" "plugdev". but the users provided
>by the NIS server are only in group "users".
>
>so I'm looking for something in /etc/group like this:
>"audio:x:29:localuser1:localuser2:+*"
>where +* should mean all NISusers.
>now "groups anynisuser1" should give "users audio".

Ahh, I see. No, the group file doesn't work that way. A better solution
might actually be pam_group.so

The way that works, is when a user logs in through a service which uses
pam_group.so, they are temporarily assigned to some groups.

for example, if you add "auth       optional   pam_group.so"
to /etc/pam.d/gdm and put
"*;*;*;Al0000-2400; audio,floppy,video,cdrom"

Then anyone who logs in through gdm will become a member of those
groups.

>or is something else possible, like putting one group in
>another group? like:
>/etc/group "audio:x:29:users"?
>to put all people who are in the group "users"
>additionally in the audio group?

No, that's not possible. The other thing you may wish to do (though some
will surely yell at me for even suggesting it) is to change the
permissions on the devices. You can either (for example)
"chown :users /dev/audio" or you can
edit /etc/udev/permissions.d/udev.permissions to make it assign
different owners than the defaults.

>thanx for helping.

NP

-Mark