Segmentation fault with nedit on amd64 warty (possible lesstif-dev problem?)

Andrew McGhee andrew.mcghee at geniushealth.com
Mon Feb 21 06:13:02 UTC 2005

Hello,
We have installed the nedit package from universe (version 1:5.4-1 - as seen
from Synaptic)

However, when running, we get the following details:
    name at server:~ $ nedit
    XmFontListCreate() is an obsolete function!

    Segmentation fault
    name at server:~ $

Doing a backtrace on the core with gdb shows up a call to XtVaCreateWidget
in /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6 from nedit itself.

We've seen another posting saying to test DDD, if a problem in nedit is
encountered. We tried this, and noted that DDD also segmentation faults on
our system - the feedback from this other posting was that nedit and DDD
have a common usage of lesstif (we have installed both lesstif1, lesstif2,
and we have also tried to compile nedit from scratch with both lesstif1-dev
and lesstif2-dev installed, but all to no avail).

The original posting recommended recompiling lesstif with gcc3.4 to overcome
potential problems, but we've noticed that the ubuntu desktop is dependant
upon lesstif (so are not too keen to un-install, and then re-install from
source, if we can avoid it).

Has anyone else come across a problem like this, with either nedit, ddd, or
lesstif needing to be compiled using gcc-3.4?

We are unsure if the problem is within nedit, lesstif, or somewhere else -
so if anyone has a working version of nedit on an amd64 based ubuntu
installation, please could you email us?

Are we likely to experience problems if we un-install lesstif2 from the
system, and install lesstif2 from source?

Many thanks in advance for any advice / help or assistance anyone can offer
regarding this.

Kind Regards,

Andrew McGhee