hoary ndiswrapper problems

Samuel Thurston, III sam.thurston at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 02:00:44 UTC 2005

I just got a d-link wireless card, and wanting to make it work under
ubuntu, I found that the card was supported by ndiswrapper.  I first
upgraded my kernel to 2.6.11-1-686.  then following the instructions
on the ubuntu ndiswrapper howto
[http://www.ubuntulinux.org/support/documentation/howto/ndiswrapper]
I installed my chosen inf file (i chose to use the XP drivers, even
though they all seem the same) and tried:

sudo modprobe ndiswrapper

I was surprised when I got the following message:
FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper
(/lib/modules/2.6.11-1-686/kernel/drivers/net/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper.ko):
Invalid module format

Irritated, I installed ndiswrapper-source, kernel-package and the
kernel headers, and built a new ndiswrapper module package.  I
installed the new package, and then tried to modprobe it with the same
FATAL results.   any suggestions on where to go from here?