Exiting GDM, switching runlevels ?

florentin_ at hotmail.com florentin_ at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 20 19:56:00 UTC 2005

These man pages  might answer your questions
man init
man inittab
man telinit

Debian/Ubuntu do have 2 runlevels, RedHat/Fedora have 3 - you can look into
/etc/inittab. For example, command "telinit 1" will will switch to console-mode.

»I just love this inherent capability of Linux's modularity, to apply
»changes 'live' by restarting only reloading only the bits that are
»affected by a change, instead of rebooting the whole machine.
»
»There is a situation I don't know how to handle, though, hopefully
»someone will know :
»
»If I start in "recovery mode", to do whatever low level/sensitive stuff,
»then when I am finished want to start gnome, I can't jsut start GDM. If
»I do , Hoary is all over the place. Jeff Waugh said that "recovery mode"
»+ GDM is not the same as starting in "normal" mode.
»
»So, once in recovery mode, how can get the system to resume the boot
»process and get me to Gnome "properly". What runlevel is "recovery
»mode". How can swithc to the run lever used for "normal" mode ?
»Or is "recovery mode", a special mode, and I need to reboot anyway ?
»
»Now the opposite problem : say I am in "normal" mode, under Gnome. I do
»some stuff, then log-out of gnome. How can I exit X/GDM and return to
»the command line only ? In GDM there are options to reboot, power off,
»log-in, but no option to exit GDM/X itself and return to a command line
»only interface.
»
»Vince
»