Problems getting the Synaptics Touchpad working on Hoary

callahan ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Sun Feb 20 16:36:28 UTC 2005

The synaptics driver seems to be a part of the Hoary x11-xorg build
already.  Mine just works from the installation without having to
install the tar.bz by hand.  I would guess that doing so might cause
some confusion about which driver it was using?

Anyway,  I have no 'synaptics' listed under the Module section.  Here's
my Input devices sections.

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
Driver          "mouse"
Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier      "Synaptics Touchpad"
Driver          "synaptics"
Option          "CorePointer"
Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
Option          "Protocol"              "auto-dev"
Option          "HorizScrollDelta"      "0"
EndSection

You would probably want to leave the mouse as CorePointer and the
touchpad as SendCoreEvents until you got it working.  Either way works
for me but I figured I'd make the one that was always there the
CorePointer.  Also double check that you are actually using the driver
in your ServerLayout section:

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier      "Default Layout"
Screen          "Default Screen"