Weird mount problem

rpowersau at gmail.com rpowersau at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 09:54:56 UTC 2005

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 10:40:00 +0100, Philippe Landau <lists at mailry.net> wrote:
> >>can you think of a reason why there is no linux gui utility
> >>for mounting drives,
> >>this seems something pretty basic and simple, right ?
> > I don't really know. Probably because it usually isn't needed?
> > I don't think I've ever seen a gui for mounting drives in
> > windoze, mac, or linux? Usually drives are just detected and
> > displayed on your desktop or file manager.
> oh there were many mount utilities.
> proprietary expensive ones,
> and freeware like the great MountEverything :-)

I've never come across them so I can't comment.  :)

> > I've always found this to be a difficult part of
> > moving people to linux: floppies, cdroms, new drives...
> exactly :-)
>
> > KDE is pretty good at displaying all devices it finds.
> i did not find a mount utility there either.

There is a setting that will display all devices on the desktop if
ticked. Can't remember off the top of my head and I don't have any
machines with kde since I've found ubuntu.  ;)

> > Fortunately, IMHO, your average user
>  > doesn't add new drives frequently.  ;-)
> more and more multimedia users do, though.

Yeah, that's true. But gnome will display them automagically I
believe? I don't have any usb drives so I don't know first hand.
That's what I mean by not needing a gui mounter app. Even a gui would
need a mount point and parameters at least once?

> kind regards     philippe

Regards,
Russ