Weird mount problem

Bob Nielsen nielsen at oz.net
Sun Feb 20 05:50:04 UTC 2005

On Sun, Feb 20, 2005 at 11:18:46AM +0800, rpowersau at gmail.com wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 18:49:58 -0800, Bob Nielsen <nielsen at oz.net> wrote:
> > I added a second hard drive which already has a vfat and two ext3
> > partitions.  When I try to mount one of these, I get an error message:
> >
> > mount: /dev/hdb2 already mounted or /mnt busy
> >
> > The device is not mounted and there is nothing else mounted to /mnt.  Is
> > there something else which would cause this error message?  Fdisk
> > recognizes the disk and correctly displays its partitions.
>
> What's the output of jujst typing mount?
>
> What does your /etc/fstab look like?

mount gives:

/dev/hda2 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/hda3 on /home type ext3 (rw)
/dev/hda5 on /usr/local type ext3 (rw)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)

and /etc/fstab says:

proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
/dev/hda2       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0    1
/dev/hda3       /home           ext3    defaults        0       2
/dev/hda5       /usr/local      ext3    defaults        0       2
/dev/hda7       none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
/dev/hdd        /media/cdrom1   udf,iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0
/dev/sda1        /media/usb0    vfat    user,rw,umask=000     0     0/

As you can see there is no mention of either /mnt or /dev/hdb2.