NIS user problems: audio, plugdev ..

Mark Roach mrroach at okmaybe.com
Sun Feb 20 03:55:33 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-18 at 23:49 +0100, kloschi at subsignal dot org wrote:

>I'm trying to figure problems with NIS users out.
>They are mentioned in /etc/passwd and /etc/group,
>but are - as usual - only in the groups defined
>on the nis server.
>As I have no access to the nis server, I get only
>users with their uid and gid 20.
>How to put those users in local groups?

What's in your /etc/nsswitch.conf, specifically on the "group" line?
You will need to have both compat and NIS listed...

Try "getent group <groupname>" to see if the membership looks as it
should. To see only local group membership, do "getent -s compat group
<groupname>"

If it isn't working, try backing up a bit: remove the NIS bits, and see
if users who are only local have appropriate group membership.

-Mark