Newbie trying to setup gkrellm.

Brian Durant globetrotterdk at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 12:42:04 UTC 2005

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 23:27:20 -0500, slackerj <ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org> wrote:

> Hey there :)
>
> To install gkrellm just do a
>
> sudo apt-get install gkrellm
>
> This will install gkrellm and then gkrellm-common.
>
> After you have installed the above you will need to install lmsensors.
> lmsensors will enable you to monitor your temptures, fan speeds, and
> voltages from gkrellm. There is a really well crafted HOWTO for
> installing and configuring lmsensors avaible at:
>
> http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2780
>
> Once lmsensors have been setup. Open up a terminal and type in:
>
> nautilus applications:///System
>
> A window will pop up. Right click in the new window and select 'Create
> Launcher'.
> Enter in the following information:
>
> Name: Gkrellm
> Command: gkrellm
> Icon: /usr/share/pixmaps/gkrellm.xpm
>
> This will create a Launcher in Applications--System Tools
>
> Go into Applications--System Tools and select gkrellm. Once it has
> loaded right click on gkrellm (on your desktop) and select
> 'Configuration'. A new window will pop up. Select 'Bultins' and click
> on the little arrow to the left of 'Bultins'.
>
> This will display the following new options:
>
> Sensors
> Clock
> CPU
> Proc
> Disk
> Internet
> Net
> Memory
> File System
> Mail
> Battery
> Uptime
>
> Now the first thing you wanted to monitor was your cable connection. If
> you want to show the amount of information (bytes) going in and out do
> the following.
>
> Click on 'Net'. Take the ticks out of the following boxes (under the
> Timer Button tab):
>
> Enable Timer
> Show Seconds
>
> Also select the option 'none' for 'Interface to link to the timer
> button'.
>
> Next select the tab (still under Net) eth0 (that is if your NIC is
> known as eth0) and tick the following boxes:
>
> Enable eth0
> Force chart to be showneven if interface is not routed
>
> Now where it says 'et0 command' under 'Launch Commands' enter the
> following into the text box:
>
> \r,t,\
>
> After you have entered in the above click on the 'Ok' button to save
> the changes.
>
> This will display in real time (via a line graph) the flow of bytes in
> and out of your machine. To set this up so that it is easier to read.
> Right click above the word 'eth0' on gkrellm. A new window will pop up
> called 'GKrellM Chart Config'. Select the boxe that says 'Inverted'.
> This will now split the 2 lines. The Orange one (or top line) is data
> going OUT. The blue line on the bottom is of data coming in.

> [...]

Wow, great HowTo and great explanation. I do have a couple of issues though:

1) None of the three temp possibilities work.
2) I don't seem to have any Internet monitoring.

I have two nics, eth0 and eth1. eth1 is connected to my router. eth0
isn't being used at this time. The eth1 sensor is working fine, but
either it isn't doing what I hoped it would or there should be a
seperate Internet sensor. My problem is that  I have to deal with both
a cable provider and an ISP. complaints about poor connection
performance have to be addressed to the ISP and then my ISP forwards
the complaint to the cable provider (monopoly) who "maintains" the
individual ISP servers for their cable system and may or may not do
anything about eventual problems. Changing ISP won't help as there is
only one cable provider. While the connection is maintained, I am
experiencing time-outs, lost packets and freezes. All indicator lights
on the router and cable modem are performing OK, but there may be
nothing coming through the cable. At this point, the only solution is
to unplug the cable modem and plug it back in each time this happens,
but unless you are downloading a file or trying to access a web site
at that very moment, you can't be sure whether the connection is slow,
packets being lost, time outs or what.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Brian