Ubuntu's performance : how to speed up ?

Bob Nielsen nielsen at oz.net
Fri Feb 18 19:00:21 UTC 2005

On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 04:11:30PM +0100, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> > I would prefer afio. dar is very slow and uses lots of memory, so
>
> Please feel free to replace dar whatever you like best.
> As long as the feature is there and Ubuntu can write a simple GUI that
> "just works", that's the one and only goal....  :-)

Back in the days when I did tape backups, I found taper to be pretty
flexible.  It used ncurses, so had a semi-GUI look and functionality.  I
always thought that a version which would write to a CD-R would be
useful.  I don't see it listed in universe or multiverse, so maybe it is
no longer supported by Debian (there is cdrw-taper, but that appears to
be part of amanda, which is overkill for a home system).