Ubuntu's performance : how to speed up ?

Chuck Vose vosechu at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 15:44:55 UTC 2005

> I don't doubt that Linux can be as solid as $$$ Unix systems, whe using
> the command line only; but with the whome gnome Desktop and zillions of
> porgrams and libraires all over the place,

I believe that linux is very close, in reality I believe that it far
surpassed the Windows equivalent but we have a tendency to want the
bleeding edge. If you run debian stable or slackware I'm sure you'd
sing a different song :)

The point of Ubuntu is to push the Debian envelope. Quick release
cycles, fast inclusion to repos, security testing. But when it comes
down to it people are finding that SuSE, Redhat Workstation, and Sun's
JDE are very good for business.

The interesting thing about large business is that it tends to be much
easier to administrate. Almost all computers will be the same make and
model so the IT dept can test to see how things go. In addition people
don't change things about their computer in a business environment so
not only is the hardware consistent, most of the programs are
consistent.

So, imagine a computer that you don't have access to root on. Can you
mess it up in any way at all? Not really.