Ubuntu's performance : how to speed up ?

Martin Schmitz ubuntu at zangpo.org
Fri Feb 18 15:01:34 UTC 2005

Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> So I think that for Hoary+1, it would be a great project for Ubuntu,
> make a nice little, easy to use GUI for DAR, to let people set a back-up
> scheme. Either manual, using removeable media, or in the background and
> automatically, on the local file system or to some remote drive using a
> netword.

I would prefer afio. dar is very slow and uses lots of memory, so if you
want to backup many files you may run out of memory. I can see no
advantage in dar compared to afio. Furthermore afio is a somewhat
traditional approach as it is compatible with cpio which is quite common
on all unix-like systems (rpm uses cpio for example).

Martin