Ubuntu's performance : how to speed up ?

rpowersau at gmail.com rpowersau at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 06:03:58 UTC 2005

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 07:45:16 +0200, Ari Torhamo
<ari.torhamo at saunalahti.fi> wrote:
> On pe, 2005-02-18 at 13:10 +0800, rpowersau at gmail.com wrote:
> >On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 03:54:38 +0200, Ari Torhamo
> ><ari.torhamo at saunalahti.fi> wrote:

> >> I just did a search in Synaptic with the word "backup" and rsync didn't
> >> come up in the results. I found out the reason to be that the word
> >> backup doesn't occur even once in the description of the package. It's a
> >> pitty that such a great tool for backing up data (as people say it is)
> >> can go unnoticed for many, because such an obvious search term is
> >> missing in the description.
> >

> >All true. It probably wasn't written to do backup just turned out
> >being very useful for that. And programmers aren't always the best at
> >selling their wares. Their time is better spent writing software.  ;-)
> >
> >You could put it in and send it off to the maintainer?   :-)
>
> Hi Russ,
>
> I'd like to do that. The only problem is that I have never used the
> program - I propably even couldn't use it - and because of this I
> wouldn't feel very confident about saying anything about it.

Yeah, that's usually the problem. You do need to 'know' the software
to be able to write about it properly and, IMHO, the person who knows
the software the best usually doesn't have the time or the skill to
write about it well.  ;-)

> I actually am in a need of a backup program, which would work with
> CD-RWs too and could do incremental (is this the right word?) backups...
> Am I talking myself here into using rsync? Maybe I'll take a look at it,
> but propably it would require much guru level tweaking, which I'm not
> able to do and I would just get angry and frustrated :-) Yes, I'm
> smiling, but I'm getting angry already just thinking about it... I would
> just want to clikck some stylish and friedly Gnome buttons and see
> things go right by themselves.

I've used DAR in the past. It is command line but it has the **BEST**
doco I've ever seen. Step by step plain english. And it works.

http://dar.linux.free.fr/

And as others have mentioned there's backuppc:

http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/info.html

But I always just end up back rsyncing my home directory onto my
server. It's just sooooooooooo easy. :)

> [a funny phrase]
>
> Ari

Regards,