The difference between /etc/init.d/progname start and progname start

Danilo Piazzalunga danilopiazza at libero.it
Fri Feb 18 03:04:07 UTC 2005

Behrang Saeedzadeh wrote:
> BTW - A friend of mine told me that I can write
>
> service {whatever} start|stop|restart
>
> in Fedora that is a short form of the
>
> /etc/init.d/{whatever} start|stop|restart
>
> Do I need to do something special in Ubuntu inorder to be able to use
> the "service" command?

There is 'invoke-rc.d {whatever} start|stop|restart|...'. See invoke-rc.d(8)
for a better explaination than I would be able to give ;-)

Anyway, I would suppose that the service command is mostly the RH equivalent
of invoke-rc.d.

--
Danilo Piazzalunga                     +--------------------+
PGP Key available at subkeys.pgp.net   | Linux User #245762 |