Newbie trying to setup gkrellm.

slackerj ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Thu Feb 17 22:15:52 UTC 2005

Brian Durant Wrote:
> Wow, great HowTo and great explanation. I do have a couple of issues
> though:
>
> 1) None of the three temp possibilities work.
> 2) I don't seem to have any Internet monitoring.
>
> I have two nics, eth0 and eth1. eth1 is connected to my router. eth0
> isn't being used at this time. The eth1 sensor is working fine, but
> either it isn't doing what I hoped it would or there should be a
> seperate Internet sensor. My problem is that  I have to deal with both
> a cable provider and an ISP. complaints about poor connection
> performance have to be addressed to the ISP and then my ISP forwards
> the complaint to the cable provider (monopoly) who "maintains" the
> individual ISP servers for their cable system and may or may not do
> anything about eventual problems. Changing ISP won't help as there is
> only one cable provider. While the connection is maintained, I am
> experiencing time-outs, lost packets and freezes. All indicator lights
> on the router and cable modem are performing OK, but there may be
> nothing coming through the cable. At this point, the only solution is
> to unplug the cable modem and plug it back in each time this happens,
> but unless you are downloading a file or trying to access a web site
> at that very moment, you can't be sure whether the connection is slow,
> packets being lost, time outs or what.
>
> I replied to you this time off list as I am not a list member pt. The
> list e-mails were delayed by over 8 hrs. when I finally got your very
> concise and instructive e-mail. You don't know anything about getting
> CD burning to work do you? I have been trying for weeks to get this to
> work with my system and this plus viewing VCDs/DVDs will ultimately
> determine whether I keep using Ubuntu in the future. Unfortunately, no
> one on the list seems to be able to help me.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Brian

Gidday Brian :)

Glad that you found the above helpfull. I actually installed gkrellm
and wrote down all the steps I did to properlly configure it whilst I
was replying to your post.

OK. First things first your temps.

When you run:

sensors

>From a terminal (command line). Whats the output showing? Would you be
able to post it for me please? To show you a working lmsensors Ill post
mine:

justin at ubuntu:~ $ sensors
eeprom-i2c-0-52
Adapter: SMBus nForce2 adapter at 5000
Memory type:            DDR SDRAM DIMM
Memory size (MB):       256

eeprom-i2c-0-50
Adapter: SMBus nForce2 adapter at 5000
Memory type:            DDR SDRAM DIMM
Memory size (MB):       256

asb100-i2c-1-2d
Adapter: SMBus nForce2 adapter at 5500
VCore 1:   +1.79 V  (min =  +1.66 V, max =  +1.84 V)
+3.3V:     +3.09 V  (min =  +3.14 V, max =  +3.47 V)       ALARM
+5V:       +4.95 V  (min =  +4.76 V, max =  +5.24 V)
+12V:     +11.43 V  (min = +10.82 V, max = +13.19 V)
-12V (reserved):
-11.94 V  (min =  -0.00 V, max =  -0.00 V)
-5V (reserved):
-5.01 V  (min =  -0.00 V, max =  -0.00 V)
CPU Fan:  2836 RPM  (min = 1997 RPM, div = 4)              ALARM
Chassis Fan:
0 RPM  (min = 3994 RPM, div = 2)
Power Fan:   0 RPM  (min = 3994 RPM, div = 2)
M/B Temp:    +42°C  (high =   +45°C, hyst =   +40°C)
CPU Temp (Intel):
+22°C  (high =   +60°C, hyst =   +50°C)
Power Temp:
+127°C  (high =   +45°C, hyst =   +40°C)
CPU Temp (AMD):
+25°C  (high =   +60°C, hyst =   +50°C)
vid:      +1.750 V
alarms:

It might be hard to read because of the forums formatting but;
hopefully you get the idea.

I can think of 2 possibilites why your temps/voltages/fan speeds might
not be displaying correctly or at all.

1) lm-sensors was not setup correctly.

It took me a couple of goes to get everything sorted correctly. The
part that got me the first time was when running sensors-detect. It
needs to be run as root (or sudo in Ubuntu's case). I had answered a
few of the questions wrong and because of that things did not work
correctly. Maybe doing a force unistall of lm-sensors and then
reinstalling them might fix that problem (and give you another shot).

2) Your hardware does not support temp/volt/fan speed reporting.

Might sound a bit daft, especially with all the bells and whistles
added today on hardware; but it might be the case with your setup. I
highly doubt it though because of the former (newish hardware having
the reporting ability); but I can remember with my old Gigabyte board,
the reporting back on that was pretty shocking to say the least.

Now for your internet connection.

I am in the same boat as you actually. I pay my ISP like 10$ a month
and my phone comapny 69.95$ a month to get 2Mb/sec into my home.
Although drop outs aren't to much of a problem now; things are still
shakey at best. Maybe you should get your line checked out by your
cable company. Just log it as a fault. Free then (I think).

Now you say you use eth1, and inturn connects to your router. I have
exactly the same setup (except my primary nic is eth0). I have taken a
screenshot of my gkrellm with the net config tab open. Take a look
here:

http://slackerj.webhop.org/gkrellm_netconfig.png

Is yours simlar to that?

Im sorry that I am not as much help this time. If we can just pick up
where the problem is you will be away laughing.

With your other questions xinel pretty much summed them all up. There
are some really good HOWTO's floating around but as with all good
information its trying to find it.

Once again thanks for your kind comments. Hopefully we can get this
working. Once it is setup, Gkrellm is a very cool toy.

Cheers Brian

slackerj

--
slackerj