Ubuntu's performance : how to speed up ?

paul cooke ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Thu Feb 17 17:56:58 UTC 2005

Vincent Trouilliez Wrote:

> Scary.
>
> The last 15 years of my life are stored on my drive. I have recently
> started to worry as I realised just what a disaster that would be if I
> lost all that. As soon as money permits, I plan to build a second
> (cheap) Ubuntu box that will serve no purpose but back up my /home
> partition on the main computer. Say via a fast Ethernet local network,
> every night with cron job. Peace of mind is priceless...
>
> Vince

fer ,,, sake, get hold of a cd writer at the very least and save it OFF
the machine for safety... or else get hold of another machine to copy to
every so often... or a large external hard drive... anything, but DON'T
leave it purely on your hard disk... make multiple copies of important
data on other media...

I had a hard disk die a couple of days ago... the only loss to me was
about ten emails that hadn't been backed up yet... of course, getting
the stuff back on and setting things up how I like them took some time,
but I had no excuse this time for not going Ubuntu with this machine...
the previous dead disk had been Suse 9.2

--
paul cooke