Ubuntu's performance : how to speed up ?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Thu Feb 17 16:07:40 UTC 2005

>You can also bundle two HDDs in "hardware" RAID-0 configuration to get
>about twice the peformance of a single HDD system.
>In RAID-0, for example, when you want to save a 10meg file, half of it
>will be stored on one of the disks and the other half on the other
>one, simultaneously, so you double the peformance. This is also the
>case for reads.

Wow, didn't think of that ! Does anyone use this setup ? Can you confirm
the figures ?? :o)
Jeez, if I buy two cheap IDE Seagate drives, 80MBps each, 160MB per
second total, wow... :o))))

But Hardware raid is requires a controller car, no ? That must be
expensive ! Much cheaper than SCSI RAID, but still epxensive no ?
Can't we just use software raid ??

My IDE controllers are ATA 100, so I would have to put the two IDE
drives as Master on their own IDE controller, otherwise bandwidth will
be limited to only 100MBps by the IDE controller..............

Vince