nForce chipset drivers ? (WAS: Ubuntu's performance : how to speed up ?)

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Thu Feb 17 00:32:09 UTC 2005

> As you have an nvidia based card/chip - are you using the Nvidia
> binary drivers or the nv driver? I ask because I was wondering why my
> apps appeared sluggish. I commented out the line in my xorg.conf under
> the nvidia device settings:
>
> #Option "RenderAccel"   "True"
>
> and things seemed a lot faster. Its not really a help for starting
> programs quicker I dont think, but once running they seem quicker -
> scrolling for one is actually smooth like this whereas it was really
> sluggish before.
>
> just something you might like to try...
>
> Tom

Well I was not thinking of the on(board graphics chip, or Ethernet or
sound (boy, this nForce chip really integrates everything ! ;o) but more
like the "barebone" of the chipset : Memory controller, IDE/disk
controller, PIC bus controller.
The rest is just peripheral that don't have much interest I think.
Even without installing the 3D nvidia driver, scrolling/moving windows
etc is smooth/fast. The 3D driver only makes a difference when I start
X-Plane. As for the nForce Ethernet controller, I do'nt use it anyway,
it's disabled in the BIOS. Never worked (even under windows) so I
replaced it with a cheap/generic "8139" style PCI card.

Vince