GDM resolution problems when logigng out

Thomas Beckett thomas.beckett at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 20:03:44 UTC 2005

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 20:21:57 +0100, Vincent Trouilliez
<vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr> wrote:
> > Well I have the exact opposite problem. When i first turn on my
> > computer, it boots into a 640x480 GDM. If i Log into Gnome - Gnome is
> > at 640x480 and the screen resolution prog only allows 640x480. Now -
> > If I hit Ctrl+Alt+Backspace either in Gnome or whilst still at GDM to
> > restart X and GDM it comes back as my normal 1024x768....
> > Any clues??
>
> Are you using Hoary ? I think it was a common problem with HOary
> recently. I tried Array 4 the other day and had this kind of problem too
> (stuck at 640x480) because, somehow, my monitor/CRT was not detected at
> all. Wart detected it fine though.
> So I modified Hoary's xorg.conf file using the monitor infos from
> Warty's XF86Config-4. After that, it worked. (well, bar the little
> proble I posted originally about..)
>
> HTH
>
> Vince

Yep - using Hoary. It used to be stuck in 640x480 all the time a few
weeks ago but that stopped when they updated stuff. I just did another
update and it worked ok this time - but I didnt notice anything in the
upgrades (was only a few packages) that would alter GDM / X files. I
also crossed from linux-image-386 to linux-image-k7 at the same time -
doubt that has anything to do with it though

Tom
--

Q: How many freudians does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: Two - one to change the bulb - the other to hold the penis...

.... I mean ladder!!!