Add to Hoary applications menu?

Thomas Beckett thomas.beckett at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 15:27:54 UTC 2005

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 09:52:37 -0500, Brian Pack <darkaudit at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to go to applications:///Internet to add some items (i.e. azureus),
> but I keep getting a 'not a valid location' error. I can't even get to
> applications:///
>
> Google searches suggest that this isn't unique to Hoary, but I've yet to find
> a solution.
>
> Suggestions?

This has come up many times on this list - its because that method of
editing a menu is no longer used. It is being replaced by the
freedesktop.org standard. Unfortunately they have removed the old
method and there is no graphical way in gnome to edit the menus yet,
you need instead to edit the .desktop files yourself - google to see
how. Alternatively, as the menus are now based on the freedesktop
standard - you should be able to use any standard editor to edit them
such as XFCEs menu editor. I havent used it myself but if you install
XFCE4.2 then the menu editor should be able to edit the gnome menus
(and it appears in the gnome menu i think too).

On a connected note - does anyone have an idea how complex the
standard is - Ive just got into python programming and was wondering
if it would be a relatively easy program to write - im guessing not,
otherwise it would be done already - but might look into it...

Tom
--

Q: How many freudians does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: Two - one to change the bulb - the other to hold the penis...

.... I mean ladder!!!