k3b won't work outside of kde?

Nathan Howell nathan at crapbox.org
Wed Feb 16 00:40:07 UTC 2005

I just reinstalled k3b, since it's the best option I know of for burning
audio discs. Unfortunately, it won't run. I get two error dialogs: "Could
not find mime type application/octet-stream" and "Could not start process
Unable to create io-slave: klauncher said: Unknown protocol 'file'.". And
on the console:

kio (KSycoca): WARNING: Found version 72, expecting version 75 or higher.
kio (KSycoca): WARNING: Outdated database found
kio (KSycoca): ERROR: No database available!
kio (KSycoca): ERROR: No database available!
kio (KSycoca): WARNING: Found version 72, expecting version 75 or higher.
kio (KSycoca): WARNING: Outdated database found
k3b: ERROR: : couldn't create slave : Unable to create io-slave:
klauncher said: Unknown protocol 'file'.
k3b:
k3b: ERROR: (K3bSongManager) Can't open file /home/nathan/.kde/share/apps/k3b/songlist.xml
KCrash: Application 'k3b' crashing..

I've googled around a bit, and from what I've found, this is a problem
(since kde 3.3) when running kde apps outside of kde. I have no intention
of installing kde and switching into it just to run k3b :-). I've tried
removing all all kde related files from /tmp and ~/.kde but that did
nothing. Anything else I can try?

Nathan