Ogg flash player recommendations?

costoa ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Tue Feb 15 18:16:31 UTC 2005

I actually use my Palm Tungsten E with "pTunes"
(http://www.pocket-tunes.com/index.htm) and two 512M SD cards to play
ogg files. Clearly not as good as a standalone ogg player but if you
need a pda it's a nice way to go. I use a SD card reader which Ubuntu
mounts without a problem to transfer files back and forth. While T/E
has enough CPU speed to decode oggs it's "pushing the edge". Increasing
the volume with the screen is off causes a very minor hiccup and there a
tiny bit of background noise. As for storage, the new 2G SD cards will
be out this spring for about the same (current) price of the 1G SD
cards. Now is not the time to buy an 1G SD card.

Again, this really only works if you want a pda first and an ogg player
second otherwise IMO it's not worth it.

I know iRiver (http://www.iriver.com/) 7xx, 8xx and 9xx series flash
players support ogg but I haven't tried one yet. AFAIK iRiver's stuff
works well.

Off topic but I use Sony's MDR-EX51LP Fontopia earbuds (~$25USD from
Amazon). Very, very nice headphones. Great bass and blocks out most
outside noise.

As for Senectus' question about legal mp3 sites I've kinda got one.
http://bt.etree.org has legal live concerts from Phish, the Dead, Dave
Matthews Band and a bunch of others. Most are FLAC encoded and there
are a few soundboards. Generally speaking noncommercial sharing is
allowed and encouraged. A nice way to explore other bands for free.

--
costoa