Ubuntu's performance : how to speed up ?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Tue Feb 15 15:18:56 UTC 2005

> My 60 GB, 7.200 rpm, 3 years old, Western Digital IDE drive goes around
> 43 MB/sec (with hadparm) and it's really silent (I can't hear it
> compared to my not-so-noisy cpu and case fans).

Hmm yes, that is right. I do have a similar WD drive (albeit 40GB not
60), it was indeed quick. But I think I damaged it during handling (when
carrying my machine in the car to visit a friend...), and it is now VERY
noisy. Therefore I removed it and put another hard drive I had laying
around. A Seagate. Very silent, (both spining and head noise), but, as I
said, does only 20MB/s max... :o(

> Only a normal newer IDE drive can give you (if not really 80 MB/sec) an
> apprecciabily faster startup time.

Yes, I am sold, I will get a Seagate Baraccuda drive, cheapest one costs
only 45 Euros, 40GB, just the size I need :o)
Might go up to 50 Euros and get the 80GB one though...

Vince