Ubuntu's performance : how to speed up ?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Tue Feb 15 15:09:02 UTC 2005

> A tip for people working with spreadsheets is to try Gnumeric rather
> than OOcalc. I find it to be a lot faster and nicer to work with.
> Reportedly, the compatibility with Excel is better as well, though I
> have little personal experience of that.

Yes, I do use Gnumeric as my first choice, I love it. it's much faster
and prettier. But it's as bad with Excel files and XY graphs as OO is,
which is what I have to deal. So, I keep trying every new version of OO
and Gnumeric, hoping that one of them (hopefully Gnumeric) will
eventually handle graphs properly and load Excel files as fast as Excel
does. But so far, both OO and gnumeric are many miles from this
objective ! :o(
I subscribed the the Gnumeric mailing list, and the developpers told me
they actively working on theses issue, so hopefully in a couple years,
it should be okay. In the meantime, I am glad I managed to set-up VMware
to run Win XP and Excel, works wonderfully well.

Vince