Ubuntu's performance : how to speed up ?

Cybe R. Wizard cyber_wizard at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 15 14:30:48 UTC 2005

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 12:09:44 +0100
Vincent Trouilliez <vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr> wrote:

> Yes, the first time I tried opening my Excel file with Openoffice, it
> took litterral 10 minutes. It froze the entire machine, no tjust OO.
> But I did not want to reboot the machine, so I decided to wait and
> see. I waited 10 minutes, and have never used OO spreadsheet anymore
> as a consequence. :-/
> Why it takes 10 minutes with OO, and only 2 seconds with Excel, I
> do'nt know. I just hope that what ever is wrong with OO, will be fixed
> soon ! :-/

In OO's 'tools' menu selection open 'options,' then 'memory,' and set
'Use for OpenOffice.org' to a higher number.  Mine is set to 64 MB and
opens in about 5 seconds.
I see now that you are opening Excel files, not just OO.  YMMV.

As for gedit, I've noticed that gxedit is surprisingly quicker.
apt-get install gxedit.

OTOH, the hdparm test you mentioned gives me a speed of (av.) 40 MB so
you probably won't get quite the same performance.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Unofficial "Wizard of Odds," A.H.P.
Original PORG "Water Wizard," R.P.