Pass-phrases vs. passwords

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 14:29:56 UTC 2005

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 14:09:33 +0000, Baza <baza@> wrote:
> On 15/2/05 1:52 pm, "Eric Dunbar" <eric.dunbar@> wrote:
> > Even though this comes from a tainted source, it's still an
> > interesting discussion about the use of "pass phrases" vs. passwords:
>
> Don't know if you read slashdot. But there was a story there a few days ago
> about Microsoft workers wanting to have no passwords, as these give a false
> sense of security.

I guess I missed that article. I wonder if it was triggered by
<http://weblogs.asp.net/robert_hensing/archive/2004/07/28/19961.aspx>.

I seem to remember someone on these lists saying that they didn't use
passwords for regular login to accounts on their Ubuntu system,
locally. That way it's not possible to sniff a "super user" password
since the only way to get "root"-like access is through "sudo" (and,
that's only if sudoers allows).

Eric.