Newbie trying to see VDC and DVD with Totem.

Jon Dixon dixon.jon at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 12:58:46 UTC 2005

That's not an extension I recognise either.

Are you playing things from a drive, or from a CD?

Are you running totem from a shell, or the GUI?

I've played VCDs and DVDs fine using both totem-xine and mplayer,
under both warty and now hoary.

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 19:33:42 +0700, Brian Durant
<globetrotterdk at gmail.com> wrote:
> Trying to play a VCD or DVD returns the following error message:
>
> "Totem could not play 'file:///media/sdg4/ffastun.ffo'.
> The specified movie could not be found."
>
> The play disc command returns a window prompt to locate a file. Has
> anyone seen this before?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Brian
>
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 09:27:08 +1100, Lex Hider <Lex.Hider at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I can't comment on VCDs, but you should be able to watch DVDs if you use
> > totem-xine instead of totem-gstreamer. totem-gstreamer will play hardly
> > anything in comparison to totem-xine.
> >
> > totem-xine can be found in the universe repositories.
> > You may also need the libdvdcss2 package to get around the CSS copy
> > protection stuff on some CDs.
> >

> > On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 16:27 +0700, Brian Durant wrote:
> > >Hi again,
> > >
> > >I am trying to get Totem to behave so that I can watch VCDs and DVDs.
> > >I have skimmed through the various HowTos, FAQs, etc. and I believe
> > >that I have all of the codecs downloaded properly from the alternative
> > >repositories. Totem just doesn't seem to be able to do anything. I
> > >have looked at the add proprietary plug-ins section of Totem prefs and
> > >don't find anything in there. Do I have to symlink or navigate to the
> > >win32 codecs, gstreamer et.al. or is there another way to do this? I
> > >know someone is going to post with the suggestion that I try Mplayer,
> > >but I don't have a virgin system, I don't want to upgrade to Hoary yet
> > >and after the debacle I have had with trying different CD burners to
> > >burn an audio CD and none of them as of yet being able to do anything,
> > >I would prefer to start slowly with Totem and try to get that to work
> > >before moving on to anything else.
> > >
> > >Cheers,
> > >
> > >Brian

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we
can solve them.
   - Isaac Asimov