Ubuntu's performance : how to speed up ?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Tue Feb 15 10:31:38 UTC 2005

> General rules of thumb:
> More ram = good

Yeah, that's why I have now 512MB. Originally I had "only" 256MB.
RAM is cheap and I have a third/last memory slot available. I could go
up to 1GB maximum according to the user manual. Will try that then...

> faster drives = good

Ah, please someone tell me what are the best drives to use (IDE or SCSI,
what RPM....), bearing in mind that I want SILENT drives (both roation
speed, and when accessing data).

> multi processor  = may not be as good as you might think.

AH, well, I guess that's good news ? I mean, dual board are extremely
expensive, so I could get loads of RAM and nice disks for the
price... :o)

> 64 bit = very good :-)

Is that the new AMD CPU's ? I seem to gather that it's still very new
and causes problems ? Well, maybe in a year or two, it should be working
well. And will Intel make 64 bits CPU's as well ??

> oh and running the kernel for you PC is a good idea as well.. do a
> search for "linux image" in apt and install the one for your
> processor.. (P3 and up go for 686 amd Athlon and up go for K7)

Yeah I tried that. I have an old Athlon XP "1700+" (1.45GHz) and tried
tied the i686 and K7 kernels in Synaptic, but noticed no improvement
whatsoever. I was a bit disappointed...

So it looks like my next machine should be 64bit CPU + loads of RAM +
fast SCSI drives ?

Vince