open source tyranny exposed

Santiago Erquicia santiago_erquicia at yahoo.com.ar
Tue Feb 15 02:39:16 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 02:44 +0100, Philippe Landau wrote:
>the main linux actors and distributors
>try to make open source look like giving control to users,
>while in practice the decisions are made top-down,
>and the main programmers are bought off by a few big companies,
>controlling everything while exploiting thousands of volunteers.
>
>http://www.smcc.demon.nl/webcam/

pwc driver is maintained by someone else now.  See this page
http://www.saillard.org/linux/pwc/

Basically they took out the part that was not liked by the kernel guys
and added some more stuff that was only available by the binary driver
only.

I asked the dev people if they could add it again to ubuntu's kernel and
provided that link.  Two weeks later the module was added back.  This
was at the beginning of Hoary.  I don't know if Warty contains the
module or not though.

I can say that my webcam works perfectly well in Hoary.

Santiago